More Chamorros speaking their native tongues. More Chamorro pride. Probably other people who support the US might move to the states. Asian companies...... going back to Asia? I don't know. Major segregation issues and definitely a lot of people leaving the island to go elsewhere. It would be intensely different. I cant begin to imagine.
How things would be 10 years after gaining independence. Much has changed since then, but all the fears of foreign invasion and conflict have been eased. Guam's economy has rose up the financial ladder and culture has been revived and made to be part of our education. 70% of Chamorro children born now speak Chamorro, (the official language of Guam.) No one knows if these good things will continue, but the developed lands are now turning back into jungle. Natural medicines are being sustainably researched and used. The hospital is now run by Suruhanus and makahnas-spiritual healing is tied to everyday life- the food taste better- its easier to see stars at night, has less lights. I now have a family and all my kids speak Chamorro and none of them want to join the U.S. military.
None of them want to fight at all. Who are we at war with? No one. We do our best to get by. We don't need to be #1. Being #1 is hard anyway. I like telling my grandchildren about how I witnessed Guam's change. How I helped make it happen how I stood up against the big bad US and demanded that we be treated with respect. Guam helped pave the way for the other colonies to gain independence too.
My grandchildren have asked how life was before the independence of Guam. I tell them it has gotten better. We do not have the US telling us what to do. The education is top ranked, the culture is vibrant, and the cost of living is good. The Chamorro people is now the majority.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment